Ambassador - Graeme Innes AM
Graeme Innes AM has just been announced as the Ambassador for the Virtual Disability Expo to be held on Friday 4th and Saturday 5th September.
Graeme was Australia’s Disability Discrimination Commissioner from December 2005 until July 2014. During that time he also served as Australia’s Human Rights Commissioner for 3.5 years and as Race Discrimination Commissioner for 2 years. He has been a human rights practitioner for 30 years in NSW and Western Australia and has participated in the development of national and international human rights instruments.
These days Graeme continues to fight for the right of people with disability and is an Australian company director, lawyer and public speaker. In his book Finding a Way, Graeme Innes shares memories of love and support, of challenges and failures, and of overcoming the discrimination so many people with disabilities face. The book offers a new perspective on supporting diversity in our community, and a way forward for Australia.
“I learned from my family that most things could be achieved. The challenge was finding a way.”
Graeme heads up an impressive list of exciting at speakers you can connect with at the Virtual Disability Expo.
Joining Graeme will be:
- The Hon. Gareth Ward, MP – New South Wales Minister for Families, Communities and Disability Services
- Dan Stubbs - Vic Disability Workers Commissioner
- Julie Jones - Editor/ Founder - Travel without limits
- Speakers from The NDIS and NDIS quality and Safeguards Commission
- Dinesh Palipana – A QLD Doctor who just happens to be a quadriplegic
- Mel Harrison – Sitting Low Reaching High
Just to name a few!
You can expect an engaging atmosphere over the two-day event, with all-ages entertainment and live performances, workshops and demonstrations as well as a wide range of exhibitors.
The Virtual Disability Expo is a fantastic opportunity to continue to connect and be informed, all from the comfort and safety of your own home.
The expo will be available across six regions – in Sydney-NSW, Nepean-NSW, Melbourne-VIC, Geelong-VIC, Brisbane-QLD and Gold Coast QLD.
Entry is FREE for attendees. Register online for fast access and follow the facebook pages within your region of interest for updates
The expo will feature:
· Specific exhibitors in each of 6 regions - all available live to chat by text and/or video chat
· Informative webinars with live question and answers running during the webinars
· Interactive games, polls and prizes
There will be a range of exhibitors including:
· Government and advocacy organisation
· Aids and equipment providers
· Education, training and employment providers
· Transport and vehicles
· Health and medical products and services
· Allied health professionals
· Support services including in home care providers
ABOUT SOCIAL IMPACT INSTITUTE
Social Impact Institute’s series of expos across Australia bring together seniors and people with a disability with product and service providers, government agencies and advocacy groups. We are proud that our expos have enabled thousands of Australian people living with disability to gain greater control over their lives and the services and products they need to live their lives to their fullest.